THE CATHEDRAL IN THE 20TH CENTURY

Close

In 1913, the 300th anniversary of the Romanovs dynasty was marked by the renovation of the cathedral’s interior. Murals and the main iconostasis were washed, the Holy Gates restored, chandeliers, candlesticks and icon-lamps were cleaned to brilliance, bronze cases and tombstone lattices were brushed up.

In 1918, the cathedrals of the Kremlin ceased holding church services. They received a new status of cultural monuments and national property of the Republic. Later, in 1920s and up to the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, renovation and restoration works were conducted, pursuing the aim of preparing cathedrals as museums. After the war the façades were the first on restoration. In 1950s, the 17th century murals were uncovered from under the later layers in the Archangel Cathedral.

On 20 June 1955, the Kremlin was exhibited before the public, and in I960, the Kremlin museums were transferred under the administration of the USSR Ministry of Culture. At the turn of 1970s-1980s the main iconostasis of the Archangel Cathedral was fixed and restored.

Divine services recommenced in the cathedral with the Patriarch's blessing. The first service, dedicated to Saint Tsarevich Dmitry, was held on 28 May 1991.

Watercolour ‘Archangel Cathedral’ Photography ‘Archangel Cathedral’Archangel CathedralCathedral’s view in winter

ÂÂÅÐÕ